Saturday, January 5, 2008

I hurt my leg

by standing on the brake pedal.

Yeah.

Really. That much pressure. Enough to hurt my leg.



Ok. I was driving home, and was minding my own business. Here comes some cars towards me. Not a big deal. It's a 2 way street. High beams down, and carry on....right?

.....the next section takes place in the time of about a second......

No. There's something weird going on. One of the head lights on the front car. Then it comes back on. Now it's flashing at me. Now it's on. Now it's off. Flashing. WTF?

I move my foot from the gas pedal to the brake (which is the smart thing to do when you don't know what is going on in the road, and your head lights SUCK.

Then, I saw it. A head.

At first, I thought it was a horse. I think "Swerve!" but no, he's on the right side, and on the left is a car. Then, I realize it's a moose. No. It's not a moose. It's 2 moose (mooses? meese? whatever, species: moose, count: 2). Yeah.

I stood on my brake pedal. To no avail. I knew I couldn't stop in time. One moose on each side. Swerving right means I hit a moose full on and then land in the ditch. Swerving left means I hit a moose, and then plow into a car. I figured I could at least stay on the road once I hit the moose if I stayed straight. The one to the right went right. The one to the left went left. I swear there was no way to *not* hit at least one of them, but I missed. I stopped just past what would have been the impact location, took a deep breath, and drove home.

No harm, no foul.

But I hurt the tendons in my leg by standing on the brake pedal. Not bad. It doesn't still hurt, but it hurt while I drove home. It was crazy.



Ok, now an update on the VFR.

I, much to the dismay of my wife, and confusion of my cat, brought the bike inside the house last night. I brought it just far enough into the house to shut the door, and I laid down my motorcycle cover as a tarp to keep the floor from getting dirty.

The theory being that the starter clutch wouldn't work because it was too cold to work. The theory also states that if you warm the bike up, it should start. This theory is based on the fact that a few people on the vfr forum (vfrworld.com) had problems similar to mine in the winter, but come spring it magically went away.

Well, the theory is correct. Once I rolled the bike out this morning, I hit the starter button. Same results as when it was cold, but a different sound. Another push on the button, and the bike ROARED to life, and quickly died. Choke was wrong. Adjust the choke and it ran like the champ I know it to be. A quick blip of the throttle, and it died...

Fuggin choke. No more choke, let it warm up a bit. It still stutters a bit when cold and you blip the throttle, but once it warmed up, the throttle response was what I expected AND it revved up really good. Yay!

I've got it in better shape than I bought it, for the first time since I bought it. The only thing keeping it from working was the not starting issue...and it starts, I'm good.

I've got better levers, and they work. Neither lever is bent or broken. When I bought it, one was bent, the other was broken.
The battery was dead. Now it's charged, and holding a charge.
The forks leaked, and had little fork oil. They now have an appropriate fork oil level, and don't leak.
The chain was loose and dirty. The chain is now cleaner (not good enough yet..) and correctly tight.
Turn signals, foot peg, brake stuff (pads front and rear and the bracket) and an oil change and I'll be ready to ride.
New tires, and I'll be ready for the track!

2 comments:

Vickie said...

Holy Crap!
You are so lucky. And you are so like your mom. Taking a mc into the house?
That's like breaking tile in the house!
Love Mom

Anonymous said...

Man, oh MAN! That's a moose of a story!
I'm glad you slipped through.

Got my first real road time on the KLR today.
I went out to Melba and on to Celebration Park. Followed the back roads across the desert over to Kuna and then straight north to Meridian and then the back roads home. Runs like a top except for a funny noise when slowing down. Lots o' power in any gear, too.
Loved the ride! Gotta go again right a way.